Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Joy of Wintertime

As I sit here in me warm little house, I drift into a mood of contemplation & winter doldrums. It's been snowing off & on for 3 days now, colder than a welldigger's butt in the middle of January & there's more work to do than I can say grace over, but I don't feel like doing any of it. I just want to curl up in a big blanket & sleep...just like them thar bares in a cave.
But as I contemplate, I am reminded of the scripture that says "to everything there is a season" & this is the season for quietness & rest. The scripture also says "in everything give thanks", not "for" everything. There is something to be said for a grateful heart & rest. When things begin to warm up, it seems our lives begin to speed up & then we long for days of quietness & rest. What unsatisfiable creatures we are!
The way I look at it, the Good Lord knew what He was doing when he made the seasons & who am I to argue with success. As I see the seasons change, I guess I would be wise to take a cue from nature & learn to go with the flow. The only thing is, the older I get, the slower the flow. I want to slow down, but there are still the everyday demands on me that seem harder to get done because my flow is slow. Mama always said "it will be there tomorrow or when you feel like doing it." My commodes don't quit being dirty just because they'll be there in the morning. When your husband begins to comment that they look like "courthouse toilets", I realizeI must find a way to overcome my slow flow & make an effort to correct the "situtation". Nevertheless, I digress from my original intent & that was to say that I made a choice to give thanks about the things I am blessed with.
I have a world of friends & family that I love better than anything to talk to & I have a phone to do that with. I have a warm house to stay in, a good bed to curl up in, a TV to lay back & veg out on. I have a car to get out of this cozy cocoon with & traverse my way to those places that hold demands or necessities for me. I have a good ( even though a little weird) man to spend my time with in this little cocoon, one who tolerates me & makes me laugh. I have wonderful children who love their mama & are always doing things to take care of me, when I can't do for myself. I HAVE A GOOD JOB!!!! one that I enjoy going to, no matter how hectic it gets!! I have a good church to go to, where there are people who help me try to become the peron I want to be & love me in spite of myself. And lastly, but not leastly, I have a Heavenly Father who loves me just the way I am, even though He knows I could be so much more. He never gives up on me & I know that I have a heavenly home to go to when time is no more for me. WHAT DO I HAVE TO BE SAD ABOUT??!! I've known life in a much harder state, & I am thankful that it has reached the state it has. Does that mean it's perfect??? No way, Jose! I could make a list just as long or longer with all the things that are hard or need to be changed, but I choose to keep a grateful attitude, at least for today. Tomorrow will take care of itself, with new choices & opportunities.
So, whatever state you may find yourself in today, make a choice to count your blessings & have a grateful heart, even "in" the troubles & trials. These even work to make us stronger & how we play this game determines how we start in the next one. I don't know about you, but I'm thankful for the slow time, so I'll be ready to run with the BIG DOGS when it heats up.
Hope your winter is going well, & you are all well & safe. Can't wait until the next time we are all together. Much love to all, Beezer

1 comment:

K-Dubyah said...

Most eloquently stated, Seester!

I think we're all feeling the bite of the "hibernation" bug.

Well, I know I am. Having spent a good portion of the day so far curled up on the couch, crocheting. Whilst da piglets destroy the house. No sense in getting upset over it, when I remember the things we got into while we were young...oh so many years ago.
I can still see you chasing us around and through the house in the form of "the monsther... and peeing my pants when you cornered me in the closet.

Ahh, good memories for a winter's day.

Love you muchly!